Prepare to evaluate the current system
Buy a multimeter. A £10 – 15 will do.
Check the current system
Check for 10.5 – 15 volts supply from the current system components.
Buy new system components
- a 300W DC Inverter,
- a 700VA Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS). This should have it’s own battery,
- a 12V DC inline Fuse Holder,
- 35 Amp fuse and sufficient 12V cable to connect all components.
Set up the new system
Run the cable from the panels/turbine to the fuse to the inverter+UPS. Connect the multimeter in-line in Amps-mode and connect to the inverter. Plug the Inverter into UPS. Plug all the appliances into the UPS.
- Build It Solar http://www.builditsolar.com/Projects/PV/pv.htm
- Simple Solar homesteading http://www.simplesolarhomesteading.com/
- Off-Grid Forums http://www.off-grid.net/forum/
- Bright Hub Engineering http://www.brighthubengineering.com/power-generation-distribution/74980-generator-battery-home-backup-systems-living-off-the-grid/
- Build Green Energy http://www.buildgreenenergy.info/ambigrid/